Friday, May 31, 2013

Travel adventure: playing Hausfrau in Germany

We are going to spend a month in Germany this fall.  Mr. R-T has a fellowship that will have him working in a lab at the University of Duisberg for a month, and I plan to go along (this is much more interesting than his work trips to Columbus, OH or Schenectady, NY).  I'll be working on becoming a competent German conversationalist, biking and hiking in the local woods, and shopping at Markt's, Bakerei's and the like. And in my spare time, maybe do a little Open Source coding. We expect to be able to spend Friday - Sunday each weekend touristing.

I'm working on building up my German vocabulary and grammar. (I spoke semi-competent German as a child, but with the grammatical skills and vocabulary of an eight year old -- not too useful as an adult.).  I've found two sites on the web: livemocha.com, which enables you to pracice speaking and writing with your work reviewed by native speakers, and duolingo.com, which is a great vocabulary builder (and also teaches a reasonable amount of grammar).  I also went through the entire Rosetta Stone German series.  I'm still not particular competent, and also absolutely freeze when I have to freely generate German sentences, but I'm working on it.

I'm just getting started thinking about these weekends; not sure whether to spend them visiting parts of Germany or to go to Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen and the like.

So here's a shout out to the collective wisdom of those of you who read this blog.

  1. Do you know of other sites on the web that are useful for learning a language (specifically German).  I especially could use more speaking and pronunciation practice.
  2. If you were living in northwestern Germany, where would you go for a 3-day weekend?  Why?
  3. What quintessentially German activities should I make sure I get a chance to do?  I mean more or less everyday things, not go to Okobertfest or the like. 




3 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

I am helpless on 1.

As for 2, Bruges, Belgium would be my first destination, and it is only a three-hour drive away. It is a beautiful old city with its medieval core undisturbed. If you know Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo series, you'll understand another reason or two I'd like to visit.

Amsterdam would be next. In Germany itself, although it's not next door, I would certainly go to Berlin, for the incredible musical and artistic life.

Strasbourg (in France) and Freibourg (In Germany) are both close and would be interesting to visit. I would consider hitting any of the larger German cities in the northwest: Cologne and Frankfurt, for example.

Unknown said...

I lived in Frankfurt 1989 - 1991, working and experiencing the culture. It was such a great time, as the wall came down and I went into the office with all the Germans celebrating! Not that the experience makes me a good source, but I always have an interest in Germany. As far as the language, if you are thru Rosetta Stone that's pretty good. I think the immersion and having to speak/converse will get you going.

My other recommendations:
- I took a train from Frankfurt to the Black Forest and loved the area. Recently, the NYTimes had an article on the development of great restaurants there. A weekend, sampling a couple, would be on my list. Here's the link, and if it doesn't work, google NYTimes Black Forest. I loved the article- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/magazine/one-tiny-german-town-seven-big-michelin-stars.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- I love castles in Germany, with the help of onsite docent-equivalents, or guides. I find hearing the stories of how people made their lives fascinating (and glad I was born in this century) Here's one I visited (in 1990 so hope they have kept the place-up) Marksburg! http://great-castles.com/marksburg.php
- The everyday experience I adopted, while living there, was going to the local pub many days in the week (since in Germany the worker's council you can only work 37 hours a week). You and Mr R-T should find the local pub and go sit, love the beer and get to know the people!
- I agree with the prior post on Berlin. Not only the arts/culture, but the city has rich history on the wall and those times - many a museum.
- take the train everyway. I love taking the train.

Robin said...

Great advice. I will definitely put Baiersbronn on the list -- I love good food. I've been to the Schwarzwald several times as a child, but I'll bet it's changed in the last 50 years. And the Marksburg Castle looks interesting. I lived in the Rhineland as a child (which is why I speak German like an eight year old), but I don't think I have ever visited this castle. It sounds neat.

We are definitely going to have to go for a return visit. I think the list is already too long for the 3 weekends we will have (but keep those recommendations coming, folks, even to second what others have said.)