Monday, March 18, 2013

I'm not the only midday cyclist

Continuing my attempts to use my car only when I really need to, I decided to bike to the bank and the grocery store the other day.  This was a total trip of about eight miles on the flat.  It worked well, though there seemed to be a shortage of places to lock a bike up to.  But what surprised me most was seeing at least ten people who seemed to be doing errands by bike.  This was about 2pm on a weekday (so I didn't count people I saw on my way home, as that is when school kids get out, and they may have been parents going to pick up kids from school).  The people I saw weren't in spandex or wearing clipon bike shoes, so they didn't look like recreational cyclists to me.  Ten people in about 15 minutes is a lot.

Apparently our town is a hotbed of people who are home during the day (they didn't all look like people who might be retired) and who try to get around by bike at least part of the time.  I'm sure it's a combination of the affluence of the community (so not everyone is at work), reasonable streets for biking, and lovely weather (both that day and most days).  Still, it does portend well that there will be bike routes and a biking constituency in the future when I may need more support for this choice.

No comments: