Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A Day in the Life...

Today was a rainy day, so I tried to stay inside as much as possible.  I didn't have a German lesson, so I originally planned to go hiking in the local woods, but I'm a rain wimp.  Just to give you an idea of what a "quiet, stay at home day" looks like for me here (remember, we are car-less), here's a summary:

  • get up, shower and dress
  • go down to common room to start a load of laundry
  • head to bakery to get fresh pastry for breakfast (our major indulgence here, but you have to go every day for bread or pastries, as they go stale fast)
  • deal with laundry load
  • eat breakfast
  • start a second load of laundry
  • it's raining pretty hard, so read email, catch up on various internet things
  • write Hamburg blog post
  • eat lunch (leftover spicy cabbage over leftover pasta)
  • rain is letting up, head to the vegetable vendor for dinner supplies
  • bring that back, head out again to the grocery store
  • bring that back, dry off, contact Jay to see if he wants a break, go together to the wine store to replenish our wine supply
  • do German homework
  • make dinner (sausages, mushrooms, onions and peppers over polenta)
  • enjoy a downloaded TV show and discover I still have time for this blog post before I go to bed.
Most days I have more errands (or at least errands that are further way, like dealing with train tickets) than today.  I "only" got 19,000 steps which is a little more than 8 miles, including traipsing up and down the stairs to do laundry.

And we wonder why Americans tend to be heavier than Europeans.

No comments: