Thursday, June 8, 2017

Back in Germany, one more time

We are back in Duisburg again, for the month of June, with a bike vacation in July.  So I'm posting again.

We arrived yesterday, pretty painlessly.  Got reasonably settled in the apartment.  We have the one adjacent to the one we had last time.  Pretty much identical, but mirror image.  It's been freshly painted, so if the window shades didn't look 30 years old (full of kitchen grease), it would be a pretty nice apartment.

Today was errand running (of course, almost every day is errand running here).  In looking for a picture to brighten up the post, the only thing I found worth photographing is the yarn store's attempt to cover the traffic bollards (I know there is a name for this activity, but I can't think of it right now).  This changes every visit or so

Here are all three of them:


And here is one close up:



This trip will involve a lot of travelling, mostly within Germany.  This weekend we go to Oldenburg to visit friends there (and participate in rubber duck races).  On the way back, I'm going to stop in Leer (more or less on the way) to visit the city archives to do some genealogical research.  My grandfather was born there, and I want to see if I can figure out why they left.  They left when he was six weeks old, so there must have been some urgency, but the entire family (parents and three kids) left together, so there must have been someone able to pay the fare.  Since my grandfather died when my father was six years old, we don't have much info about him.  Wish me luck.  (I doubt that anyone at the archives will speak much English, so this will be a test of my German skills).

Today being my birthday, Jay is taking me out to dinner at a nice little Italian place.  No, it's not a milestone birthday, just an ordinary one.

No comments: