Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Next round of adventures

I leave in an hour for another adventure filled week (it's Wednesday as I write this), having seemingly survived the current heatwave (highs in the high 80s, and it doesn't cool down in the evening the way it does in California).  This week:

  • Jay has already left for a conference in Bielefeld
  • I leave to join him shortly (it's a 2 hour train ride)
  • I will have dinner this evening with the girlfriend of my language partner from when I was visiting Bielefeld 3 years ago
  • Tomorrow she and I plan to go biking -- she is loaning me a bike and a helmet.  Since the high is predicted to be 86 and it might rain, this could be an adventure
  • That evening (Jay has activities for his conference from 9am to 9pm, so I'm on my own), I will most likely have dinner with both this woman and her boyfriend, my language partner
  • On Friday, Jay and I together with our host in Duisburg, who is also at this conference, will go to Cologne to visit with him and his partner.  We are going to the opera -- Fidelio -- that evening.
  • Saturday we return to Duisburg, in time to do a bit of grocery shopping (grocery stores are closed on Sundays) and laundry.
  • Sunday morning, we go to the Neanderthal Museum, in the Neander Valley (that's what Neanderthal means) where the first remains were discovered, with my German teacher and her partner.
  • That evening, we go to dinner with one of the students my husband worked with and his wife and two children.
I'm tired just writing it down.  The coming week is Jay's last week at the University, and we have one other dinner invite and may get a second.  Then it's on to our bike vacation.

No comments: