Monday, February 11, 2013

This is the first day of ...

Today feels like it's the real beginning of my retirement, especially since the weekend was busy with exactly the same things as I do every weekend.  I 'slept in' till 6:20, went to the gym, did some house chores, and then started the New York Times Sunday crossword in the late morning.  Doing the crossword was the symbolic beginning of my retirement, since I doubt I have had time to do one of these in ten years or more.  I managed to finish it in under two hours, which is much better than I thought I would, I think because the theme answers for this puzzle were pretty obvious to me, and those were long answers that provided a lot of help for their crossing words.  I had to use Google for seven clues (all cultural/historical references of some sort), again much better than I expected.  I think doing the Sunday crossword is going to be on my to-do list permanently.

The rest of the day was a bunch of small tasks that needed to get done.  Nice, quiet, peaceful day.  I'm sure I'll want more activity and more interaction with other people in my days going forward, but the solitude and not feeling like there is more to do than there is day to do it in was delightful. Even when I do a 'staycation' holiday, I always feel like these days are so precious, I should fill them with as much of my TBD list as possible. This was different.

Off to make a nice seafood risotto.  We have an out-of-town visitor for one night.  Usually when such people arrive on a weekday, I cook something simple I can do after a full day at work, but this time, I can make something a bit more time consuming.  Another retirement plus.

No comments: