Sunday, October 23, 2016

Do travel hassles come in threes?

If so, am I done yet?

We returned to Duisburg on Friday, starting the day with a 20km bike ride through the Valpolicella area

After cleaning up, we took a 2.5 hour bus ride to the Venice airport, causing Jay a lot of stress that we would miss our 4:30 flight (in actuality, we got there before they were accepting luggage drop off).  Then a two hour flight, a short train ride back to Duisburg, where, upon alighting -- wait for it -- my purse was stolen out of my backpack.  The usual press of people, but one of them had a different goal than just getting off the train quickly (and I was slowed down by my suitcase).  One of my fellow passengers noticed and alerted me (after the theft), but was not able to catch the thief, who was apparently a teenaged girl (Rule #47: be especially careful on trains on weekend evenings).  I was extremely lucky.  The only thing of any value in the purse was a coin purse with maybe 10 Euros in coins in it.  I had my wallet, passport and phone in my pants pockets.  This must have been one pissed teenager when she opened the purse.  Unfortunately, she got my apartment key and my umbrella.  I now have a new umbrella, but Germans are rather strict about not losing apartment keys.  That will be a discussion for Monday with the "housemaster".

Because of the lost key, we decided to file a police report.  There is a police station as part of the train station, so we didn't have to hunt one down at 9pm, and we learned a lot about German bureaucracy.  It was clear they weren't going to look for my purse or the thief (whom I couldn't describe), but they understood that I needed a piece of paper to take to my landlord about the stolen key.  So much information to provide -- addresses both here and in the US, even my birth name was required (it's not even on my passport).  I now have more experience with German police reports than American ones (though I have been burglarized twice, I don't remember the police asking me for more than my name and the particulars of the breakin)

Yesterday was a full day of laundry and shopping, but today, after a lazy brunch, we went for a walk in the local woods.  We came upon the same wild pig/boar habitat that we saw last year (these were wild pigs found roaming through town that were caught and given a couple of acres to live on in the woods.)  Here are two babies at play


And this must be a yearling:


The grandpa boar picture didn't come out (he moved too fast).

And finally, if anyone knows what kind of mushrooms these are, I'd love to know.


No comments: