Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Back in Duisburg, back to the blog

I did leave you all abruptly last time.  When I am actively vacationing, I find it hard to find time (or incentive) for blogging, and then I returned to a computer with a trashed disk, and then.... well I never got back to updating the blog. But we are now back in Germany for a month and I will try to keep people updated.

It's winter here, making the experience somewhat different.  Rather than spending my time walking in the woods, I have decided to take an intensive German course (with a company called Inlingua).  My first lesson is today, so more info in the next post.  I'll have 90 minutes of daily lessons and some homework.  We'll see how far I progress.  I am going to try repeating this post in German below the English part, for my few German speaking followers, and to practice my writing

There was no room for us in the International Guesthouse this time, so we are in sort of AirBnB type apartment, meant for people vacationing in Duisburg.  It's a nice place, conveniently located, but very tiny.  The living room and the bedroom are essentially the same room.  (see the picture).  There is a reasonable kitchen/dining area (though the equipment leaves a bit to be desired), and a small unheated area that the Germans call a "Wintergarten" and we would call a sun room. The bathroom is modern and reasonably sized  I will probably have to do my pilates in the kitchen.

 The living room/bedroom


 The kitchen/dining area (yes, we have a washer)


The sun room


Rediscovering winter has been educational.  After all, I have been in California for 30+ years.  I have to think more about what to wear when I go out (we went out to dinner last night and it snowed while we were in the restaurant -- something I hadn't anticipated at all).  Thinking about heat (we have radiator heat that does not have a thermostat -- just individual controls on the 3 radiators) is new to me; my setback thermostat at home lets me ignore changes in room temperature for the most part  The important role of a hat in staying warm, and how warm a house feels when you come in from outdoors -- almost too warm, are things I barely remember from when I lived in places that had winter.  My big coup is that I asked for (and got) gloves for xmas that have fingerpads that allow you to use a phone, or my smart watch, while wearing them.

The days are shorter here than at home.  That, and the unremitting gray weather, is going to take a bit of getting used to.


Auf deutsch

Es gibt jetzt Winter hier, so mein Ergebnis ist etwas anderes als bevor. Ich verbringe meinen Zeit nicht mit laufen, aber ich mache einen intensiven deutschen Kurs (mit einer Firma dem man Inlingua genannt). Meine erste Stunde ist heute, so ich schreibe mehr darüber in dem nächsten Beitrag.  Ich mache 90 Minuten Unterricht täglich und auch muss Aufgaben machen.  Ich weiß nicht, wie schnell ich verbessere. Ich versuche jeden Blog-Beitrag in Deutsch unter das englischeTeil schreiben, für meinen deutschen Leser und für Schreiben zu üben.  

Es gab keinen Raum für uns in das Internationale Gasthaus dieses Mal, so wir bleiben in eine Ferienwohnung, für Leute wer eine Urlaub in Duisburg macht. Es ist nett, in einen günstigen Ort, aber sehr klein.  Das Wohnzimmer und das Schlafzimmer sind zusammen. Es gibt eine Küche mit einem Esszimmer von angemessener Größe (aber es hat nicht viele Kochgeräte) und eine kleine unbeheisted Zimmer, dass der Vermieter hat ein "Wintergarten" genannt (auf englisch ist es ein "Sohnzimmer").  Das Badezimmer ist modern und angemessen.  Wahrscheinlich muss ich in Küche Pilates machen.

Es ist interessant, Winter wieder zu entdecken.  Überhaupt bin ich in California mehr als 30 Jahre.  Ich muss mehr über was ich trage denken  (letzte Abend sind wir nach ein Restaurant gelaufen, und es schneite durch das Abendessen -- das hat ich nie erwartet).  Denken über die Hitze (wir haben drei Raditoren und keinen Wärmeregler) ist für mich neu -- mein "setback thermostat" zu Hause lass mir die Hitze nicht bemerken.  Die Wichtigkeit eines Huts für warm bleiben, und wie warm das Wohnung ist wenn man kommt von draußen -- fast zu warm, diese sind alle Sachen dass ich mich von dem Zeitpunkt an ich in Orte wo Winter gibt gewohnt kaum erinne.  Mein groß Coup war dass ich  für Weihnachten Handschuhe, dass die Finger für die Handy oder die "Smart Uhr" benutzen kann, bat (und bekam). 

Die Tage sind kurzer als zu Hause.  An das, und an das unablässige graue Wetter, muss ich mich gewöhnen.

No comments: